Guidance about addressing some common fire hazards

Every year, an estimated 51,000 fires occur in homes, resulting in approximately 500 deaths, over 1,400 injuries, and $1.3 billion in property damage.

HVAC designing contractors

It’s critical to understand the risks and reasons of electrical fires in order to better understand how to prevent them. We’ll look at some of the most prevalent causes of electrical fires and ways to avoid them.

Common Electrical Outlets​

The majority of electrical fires are exacerbated by poor electrical outlets (Receptacles) or worn-out, improperly grounded sockets. The wiring under outlets and switches deteriorates as they age, and wires are strewn about that slack over time and could possibly break and create a fire.

Many electrical fires are caused by worn-out appliances that demand a lot of power, and those with frayed or damaged cords are even more likely to start a fire.

If you think you’re potentially facing such a circumstance, contact us for Electrical Installation & Maintenance Dubai.

Outdated or Worn-out Electrical Wiring​

If a home is more than 20 years old, the wiring capacity may not be sufficient to accommodate the increasing number of electrical equipment found in today’s ordinary home, including computers, broader televisions, camcorders, ovens, and air conditioners. The increasing power load is too much for the old home wiring to sustain. Older wiring is prone to overheating.

Since electrical work is mostly concealed behind the walls of your home, it can be difficult to identify if you have old and insecure wiring. However, keep in mind that electrical issues provide a significant fire risk. Pay attention to the following warning indications of hidden electrical problems:

  • Circuit breaker is frequently overloaded
  • Intermittent power cuts or flickering lights
  • Appliances or electrical devices that are overheating
  • Appliances or outlets that cause shocks or sparks
  • Unidentified burning odours

If you notice any ragged electrical cords, call us for the best Technical Services in Dubai. If these exposed lines that run down your floor or in your walls spit out a spark, they can be quite deadly.

Cords and Electrical Circuit Overloads

Extending extension cords without restriction is a big fire hazard. When you hook your TV, home theatre, computer, and other gadgets into a single extension cord, you’re putting an excessive amount of electricity into a single socket which isn’t for handling it. This shows that the circuit might be overloading, putting you at risk of an electric fire.

As a result, it’s critical to make an extra effort to never bombard your outlets. If you don’t have enough outlets to meet your demands, have a skilled electrician install more outlets to keep your house and family safe. kinky or broken cords produce more heat, which finally melt the insulating from the inside out. ​​

Old Appliances

Tattered cords or weak or defective wiring in old appliances might catch fire. Furthermore, due to the high combustibility of the old insulator used in these equipment, a simple electrical repair may not be sufficient to address these issues. To secure your safety, it is best to get current appliances.

When it comes to power consumption, material quality, and safety standards, having older appliances increases the danger of them not being up to par. All of the appliances in your kitchen, including stoves, toasters, and refrigerators, are at risk of causing electrical fires.

Hire our HVAC designing contractors Dubai to install appliance-grade outlets for your equipment and residence. To keep your home secure, electricians can also install ground fault circuit interrupters, which operate as surge protectors.

Light Fixtures

Electrical fires can be also ignited by light fixtures, lamps, and bulbs. A common cause of electrical fires is using a bulb with a wattage that is too high for the lamps and light fixtures. Check the maximum suggested bulb wattage on any luminaire or lamp before using it, and never exceed it.

Placing things such as cloth or paper over a lampshade can also spark a fire. Faulty lamps and light fixtures might also be a reason for fire.

Because light bulbs aren’t universal, make sure you stick to wattage standards for all of your light fixtures. A 100-watt light bulb used in a 60-watt light fixture might cause the entire fixture to catch fire. That is why you should never exceed the maximum wattage indicated on your lighting fixtures.

Portable Heaters

In the winter, be mindful of where you position your space heaters and never keep them on for an extended period, especially when sleeping or leaving the house. One of the most prevalent causes of fires is placing your portable heater near drapes, rugs, beds, couches, and other similar items.

If you must use a space heater, choose one with a radiator that distributes heat evenly across the entire surface. These are less prone to ignite combustible materials, but avoid it at all cost.

Tips for Fire Safety

As soon as you find a loose outlet, repair or replace it. You may be able to enhance the connection by tightening the wire nuts, or you may have to substitute the outlet.

  • To have your property inspected and old wiring replaced, contact a trained electrician who follows the National Electrical Code.
  • Hire a professional to inspect your wiring, auxiliary power panels, and electrical wall outlets for electrical safety.
  • Install high-quality smoke detectors and extinguishers to increase your chances of escaping an electrical fire, sparing lives and reducing property damage.
  • For any application, choose heavy-duty extension cords. Place the rope somewhere where no one will trip over it. Do not run cords under rugs, as this might cause excessive heat.
  • Never rely on extension cables indefinitely. Have an electrician install more outlets if you don’t have enough.
  • Keep an eye on your appliances. Examine cords for overheating or exposed wires. If a device makes unusual noises or fails to operate normally, don’t wait till the cord catches fire to fix or replace it.
  • Purchase high-quality appliances and adhere to every safety guidelines.
  • Make absolutely sure that every light fixtures and lighting gadgets are plugged into sockets with the correct wattage. Make sure not to overdrive light fixtures, and replace any that appear to get too hot when turned on.
  • When it comes to illumination, avoid utilising extension cords. Also, replace fray and broke cords.
  • Replace these fixtures as soon as possible if your lights flicker or won’t remain illuminated after you’ve ruled out light switch issues.
  • Never use flammable paper or cloth to embellish a lamp, and hold fixtures away from fabrics such as beds or curtains.
  • One should always place inflammable objects away from mobile space heaters. Even better, utilise infrared heaters which do not burst into flames when touched directly.
  • While using a radiant heater, only use an up-to-date version with all modern safety measures to limit the chance of starting a fire. Ensure you have the right size heater for the space you want to heat.
  • Place the heater away from high-traffic areas, as well as furniture, drapes, bedding, and anything combustible.
  • Connect it to a wall outlet just like any other gadget. Only use a heater as intended, and don’t leave it on when you’re not there.

Related Posts